Sunday, November 7, 2010

Solo Disaster

On Friday November 5 2010, we flew to Solo with Elder and Sister Howarith publication specalists from Singapore.  They came to write an article for church publications.  We spent from the time we arrived until late
in the afternoon helping put togeather hygiene kits and school kits for the refugees.  That afternoon we delivered the kits and supplies. we made it back to the hotel around 10:00 pm that evening.  The next morning Saturday a repeat of Friday except we drove about seventy miles to deliver supplies.  The devistation is unbelievable.  I wish I could figure out pictures to send.  The once gorgeous landscape is burned and completely covered with white ash powder.  We picked up a set of sister missionaries and by the time we made it back to Solo it was 11:00 pm.  Oh well, so much for mission rules!
The Elders were wearing white shirts that suddenly turned black!  We have a new washing system in Solo, its called give the Elders a soap pack and stand them out in the rain!!..I now understand why my missionaries all came home with so few white shirts!
I just have to add that we attended two branch sacrament meetings in Solo today!  We rode from the hotel in a little bike pulled cart that I can't remember the name of.  Can you imagine DAD sitting through two sacrament meetings and not falling asleep, in fact we loved it!  The branches are going on a temple trip to the Phillipines.  I am so impressed with these people.  They have saved for years for the opportunity to go to the temple and do their own temple work.  Most of them will never get to go the temple again in their life time.  It was so touching to see the people and how thrilled they were to be able to go.  They left this afternoon and will travel at least 12 or more hours by bus to Jakarta where they will catch a plane to Manila and spend 4 days at the temple.  I never felt so blessed in my life.